Photographers: Luigi & Iango
Models: Amber Valletta, Anja Rubik, Carolyn Murphy, Daria Strokous, Edita Vilkeviciute, Isabeli Fontana, Jourdan Dunn, Lara Stone, Malgosia Bela, Mariacarla Boscono, Natasha Poly and Toni Garrn
Stylist: Deborah Aeshani
Hair: Luigi Murenu
Makeup: Georgi Sandev and Virginia Young
1. Can you describe yourself for us in 5 words?
Patient, Open, Reticent , Thoughtful, Honest
2. Can you remember the first time you picked up a camera? Your first subject?
My first subject was my old friend from school; in 2007. She was a beautiful woman, and I wanted to show her how I experienced her beauty.
3. What made you choose photography? Or did it choose you?!
I don’t know who choose whom. I believe that it was just a life coincidence, a good coincidence. I studied architecture originally, but after a few years I realized it wasn’t my life’s mission. Then I decided to give my beloved hobby a try, and explore whether or not it might be the right direction for my life. To be honest, I never thought this career would develop so quickly.
4. Are you drawn to a particular style of photography, as a connoisseur? Are there specific artists that inspire your style?
There are a few photographers who are my absolute inspirations like Helmut Newton, Steven Meisel, Peter Lindberg, Paolo Roversi. I’d say I have a classical style of photography, but I’m open to experiencing new techniques.
5. Do you prefer shooting with models or with friends? And when you do shoot models…favorite agencies to work with, or specific subjects?
I never have restrictions to a model or not; if I a see a beautiful person (who may be a friend, an acquaintance or a professional) I would just ask to take an image of him/her. Job-wise: of course I work more often with professional models, but also many actresses, bloggers and other civilians.The agencies that I work with most are: M4, 2PM, Core, Izaio, Spin and a lot of independent scouters.
6. Also: is it easier to shoot men or women? Why?!
For me, there is zero difference (in the sex of the model); if its man or a woman. It’s about the beautiful human being.
7. Where do we find you living these days?
I live in the city of Berlin! Of course, I travel a lot and working in many different places, in different countries, around the world. Mostly I am in Berlin.
8. Favorite environment to work in…Studio or on location?
My studio gives me a great feeling of control, power and security; and sometimes for the model, it is easier to open up in the studio. Of course, I also love location shootings. Even if I’m on a vacation, if I spot an amazing setting, I go crazy to try and find a model for a few shots.
9. Do you have an intuitive way to identify a location for your shoots? When you see it, does it just feels right to you? Or are there different planning/ selection steps
I think every photographer or creative mind has this intuition. You just see it and it’s like: “Damn, so here it shall be!”. But it doesn’t always work out. I check the lighting and then I do some test shots, so I can see if the images that are produced, match the vision that I’ve imagined.
10. Do you love the control of diverse lighting set ups, or do you prefer working with natural light?
I love the control of creating in my studio, yes. But there is nothing in this world as beautiful as the magical light of a natural sunset. There is no artificial light arrangement that can simulate that!
11. As a very successful photographer already…What’s “the dream” Anna?
First, thank you for asking me this question. I don’t think I’m of myself as being a ‘successful’ photographer yet; but I will assert that I am on my way there! My dream is to have no walls inhibiting me from unlimited creation: no model or celebrity that I wouldn’t be able to work with. That fantasy would include the greatest clients in the world, and being appreciated by the worlds most creative minds.
12. Finally, on a personal note, tell us your favorite things: vacationing spot, type of music, a splurge, a designer you love, and or your drink of choice (if you have one)?!
Vacation: Somewhere very very warm; with a beautiful beach!
Music: Madonna, Depeshe Mode, Trentemoller
Designer: Jil Sander
Drink: Black Coffee, NO milk!
See the entire stunning project HERE at Satiety Paper
“For the past 20 years, I’ve had the good fortune to shoot the most beautiful women in the world, many of whom I met through my association with Victoria’s Secret. To the women who appear here, and all those I’ve shot these many years, I want to say thank you for the privilege and, most importantly, your trust. I am humbled and deeply grateful“- Russell James.